Saturday, June 30, 2012

How to weave inkle bands on Mirrix looms Part One

I love weaving inkle (warp face) bands.
I use  in dollmaking:
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
Link to purchase pattern for Inkle dolls: Inkle Dolls
And, they are wonderful for trimming handwoven clothing:
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
Link to post that shows how to shape inkle bands to make a yoke or other shaped pieces of garments: Warp pulling
Over the years,  I have also made hat bands, book marks, all kinds of jewelry, key fobs,  vests, bags, bag handles, the garters for the men's kilt hose for my son's wedding, shawls, freeform pieces that combine inkle weaving, knitting, embroidery, spool knitting and crochet, as well as rugs.
Yep. I love inkle weaving.
So, as I have been exploring the possibilities of weaving with my Mirrix looms, I had to give inkle weaving a try.
I found that it was quite challenging at first. But, I don't give up easily :)
I ended up spending waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more hours than I should have, experimenting and obsessing over making inkle bands on the Mirrix.
Well... I finally succeeded.
Since it was so challenging, I figured that I should share what I have learned, so that other intrepid inkle weavers can leap right in, without all the trial,  error and frogging that I went through!
There are definitely tricks to weaving inkle bands on the Mirrix looms, and I have made 4 videos to share those tricks.
Here's part one of the video:

Here is the draft for the bands that I wove in the videos:
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
To read the draft: Each square represents one warp strand.
You can check your warping by looking at each shed to see that it has the same number of strands, in the order that they appear in the line.
You will be  putting a total of 8 green strands on, followed by 4 orange strands, 3 sets of  (1 orange, 1 green) for a total of 6 strands, then 4 orange strands and ending with 8 green strands.
At the top and bottom of the loom, you'll see the full count of warp strands.
At the warping bar, the 2 sheds will be separated into their correct (we hope!) configuration for each shed.
The chart will give you bands like this:
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
The upper band is the band on the right hand side of the loom in videos 2 - 4.
I only used the center of the draft for it, without the green border strands.
The yarn is Lion Brand Cotton.
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
Setting up the loom for inkle bands is different than normal warping.
You need to have the warping bar at the front of the loom.
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
Tie the green yarn onto the warping bar and take it up and around the loom, just the same as if the warping bar was in the back.
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
You will need to cut the warp strand of color 1 to tie on color 2 at the warping bar, for EVERY color change.
WHAT?!?!?!
Yes. really.
It sounds insane, but this is the biggest key to making the whole inkle thing work on the Mirrix loom.
Trust me. You ~can~ twist your yarns around each other, and are welcome to, I'm sure, if that would make you happy....
BUT.... the quickest, easiest way to have problem free warping for inkle is to cut those little darlin's and tie the knots between the colors.
copyright Noreen Crone-Findlay
Yay! Warped!  Insert the spring rod into the spring to keep the warp strands locked into their notches.
This is sooooooooooo important!  (yep... voice of 'oops' experience here :( )
And in Part 2.... it's on to the heddles.
I have a nifty, super friendly way of using a crochet hook and weaving stick to make the heddling process go like a breeze.
That's coming up next.... so stay tuned! :)
Happy Weaving,
Noreen

No comments: